I’m going to make it a goal to start all of my “serious” posts with a fun fact about me! I might eventually run out of fun facts, but that seems unlikely. This week’s fun fact is about my anatomy! I have SUPER flat feet…..like piece o’ plywood flat. Seems weird but it lets me perform an awesome quirk. If my feet are wet and I gently hop I can suction my feet to the floor! It’s totally pointless, but it gives me the giggles that’s all the counts. Also, I have an extra bone in each foot.
Down to the nitty gritty of this weeks topic. Who would have thought that the last week in the shortest month of the year could be such a bitchface?!?! This week has slapped me in the face several times for a variety of reasons. I’m quite sure that my attempts at being healthy gave me food poisoning not once….but twice! General feelings of ickyness combined with a variety of nightmares at work have caused me to ask one question at the end of each day.
This question in the evenings has been leading to feelings reminiscent of this in the mornings…..
Some days you just can’t…..I mean you always can, but you just don’t want to. It’s a fact of life and everyone feels like that now and again. What’s important is that you don’t let these feelings overwhelm you. I get it….sometimes being an adult sucks, and nothing really prepares you for it. I’m going to paraphrase the great Ron White about leaving college and having to start adulting. “I didn’t want to adult. I wanted to be drunk in college and you threw me into adulthood!” If you are confused on the reference, YouTube his drunk in public skit, you’ll understand. College taught me the value of my friends, the importance of making memories, and it showed me what I was capable of when I applied myself. Nothing teaches you what you’re made of like all night writing sessions for multiple lab reports at once. Of course, college also taught me a variety of stupid things too. For example, the best ways to procrastinate those lab reports!
I think this is how most people view starting out on the path to grownupville. One day everything is all frat parties and homework (WHICH SEEMS LIKE A STRUGGLE AT THE TIME). The next you’ve getting a diploma and suddenly you have to 180 your lifestyle and deal with things that are an actual struggle….
Lately I find that I’ve been having more of these struggle bus days that usual. I have decided to name this small dip in my general fantasticness my “slightly post quarter life crisis”. My life crisis is characterized by general feelings of meh. I think it has more to do with realizing that my life isn’t going the way I might have planned it when I were 18 and shall we say…stupid. To be clear, I don’t feel sad or depressed…..just meh.
- Meh I don’t have a boyfriend. On the other hand, do I want a boyfriend….meh.
- Meh my job is boring, but to the point that I want to start a job search…..meh.
- The list could go on, but I’m sure you get the point.
During these periods of meh I try to focus on all the positives in my life…
- I own a home and generally have the life skills required to update various aspects of my house on my own!
- I get to come home to my pupster’s adorable face everyday!
- I make enough money to pay all my bills, put some money into savings, and still have fun money for my life whims.
- I have supportive family and friends who encourage and back me in my life adventures!
- The mantra at the end of every workout at my gym comes to mind, “be grateful for your strong body and mind that has carried you through this workout.”
It’s also important to realize that your fabulous twenty something friends are also going through their own post quarter life crises and you can lean on each other for support.
Some of the funniest and most motivational words of wisdom have come from my friends. I want to leave you with a few of my favorite friend quotes to help tackle your toughest adult struggle bus moments!
- “Sir-Mix-A-Lot and I don’t agree on what’s important!” – Sometimes you don’t want to motivate to the gym and squat… and that’s ok!
- “Sushi will fix everything….have faith!” – Cuz sometimes you just need some snacks!
- “Life is a shithole and no one gets out alive.” – When homework leads to deep philosophical epiphanies!
- “When I’m drunk and don’t know what to say I just flip you off and walk away!” – Who wants to deal with people trying to kill your buzz?!
- “Take some emergen-c and put on your big girl pants” – When you’re debating life choices that are at best questionable but fun.
- “I told him you would eat him alive.” – Sometimes you have to pick and choose who you date.
- “Don’t sweat the small shit….and it’s all small shit!” – Sometimes Dad’s advice trumps your friends though!
If you’ve reached your absolute wits end and still don’t know what to do about your post quarter life crisis just remember that sometimes this can be the answer….