Last weekend was my first “homework free” weekend since summer class started 8 weeks ago. I was pretty excited to get some stuff done around the house. My original plan was to finish the dining chairs that have been taking up space in my garage all winter. However, some of the required supplies ended up at Mom’s house, so that idea was out. Instead, I did some low key projects around the house. It’s been awhile since I’ve done much of anything to the house, so I’ll try and get you up to speed.
In prime summertime funtime form, Friday afternoon was spent at the pool. Post sunning I may or may not have taken a nap before deciding that it was finally time to head out to the store and buy some food. After getting cat called and followed around the Walmart….ugh disaster……I ended up at a bar with Pimp Money talking about my rally adventures. Apparently, you know you’re “single as fuck” when your friend calls you at 10pm on a Friday night, and you’re out grocery shopping. Thanks for that little reminder Pimp Money!
I didn’t do much. I was still way to sore from the gym to even think that going back for another workout would be a good idea. Instead, I made coffee and eggs and bummed around on the couch watching NCIS. Fun fact….Netflix has 11 seasons of NCIS. If you need me at any point in the near future, that’s what I shall be doing. If your activity doesn’t beat Gibs, Abby, and Ducky….I’m probably opting out. #atleastimhonest #abbyismyspiritanimal
I did eventually motivate to clean my house, and I did grill a bunch of food so I’d have leftovers to eat all week. Brats and zucchini over charcoal…..life doesn’t get much better. The bestie came over and helped me switch out a light in my stairway. My house has really ugly light fixtures, and they all have to go! Through the power of google, Angry Orchard, and some creative ladder placement, we swapped the flush mount ickiness for my hanging orb, and it’s looking much nicer now! Thank goodness I know how to use a wire nut! (I just took a safety class, and promptly ignored everything I learned while balancing a ladder on two different landings. We did however flip off basically every breaker in my entire house because electricity is tricky! Safety first kids!)
The next item on our bestie to do list was replanting my terrarium. I’m not sure what happened, but when I moved he died……..like a very moldy, crispy, dried out sorta death. So, off to Walmart we headed. The plant selection was a bit depressing so we decided that girl’s night with the dogs, wine, and ice cream would be better. No complaints here about HAVING to drink wine and watch Gerald Butler! 🙂
Woke up late with no particular plans again. Made more coffee and breakfast because ya know……a girl’s gotta eat! Saturday night I bought the Lonesome Dove box set at Walmart so I decided that I would be lazy and watch it. I had forgotten that just Lonesome Dove is a 4 part movie! Needless to say, I only made it through the first 2 parts on Sunday. While lounging and watching the movie I did manage to make 3 batches of banana bread for no real apparent reason. So, I’m set on the bread front for the foreseeable future. I also picked a whole pile of tomatoes off my little plant and made some bruschetta for dinner……because it’s amazeballs!
Side Note– Scout has turned into a deranged tomato puppy. The first thing she does anytime we go outside is run over to the tomato plant and prance anxiously around whilst licking the plant. Then she sits there, whines, and pouts until she gets a tomato……spoiled lil diva dog.
I did manage to dress myself and head off to the garden center and got 3 new baby plants for my terrarium and an air plant. The terrarium plants were classified as “Fairy Garden Size”, and I oddly enjoy that fact.
- Make sure to wash and dry your chosen pot, and wipe hard to remove smudges
- 1 inch of small pebbles in the very bottom
- About 1/4 cup of aquarium charcoal to help purify the water
- Add a layer of larger, flat-ish rocks to help keep the soil out of the pebbles (You could also use a layer of coffee filters, but I find you can see it around the edges)
- Mix water and an additional 1/4 cup of charcoal into potting soil. Soil should be wet, but not soggy. (This helps your new plants get the water they need without having to over water the terrarium)
- Arrange plants as desired and keep adding small amounts of damp soil as needed
- Cover, water sparingly, and trim plants as needed.
A covered terrarium, like I have, should in theory “self-water”. Water filters down through the soil and into the pebbles were it eventually evaporates up and condenses on the lid. If you want an open terrarium you’ll have to water more often.
After the plants I headed to the mall. I had money to spend at Victoria’s Secret, and of course the coupons didn’t work online…..so off to brave the weekend mall crowd I went. Normally, I wouldn’t have spent so much money there, but
A. Sports bras were on sale, and I NEEDED one! I get sick of doing laundry purely because my gym clothes are dirty.
B. Some of my regular bras have taken to trying to impale me, and I will only attempt to sew them back into submission so many times. So this…..was also a NEED!
Mischief managed for the weekend I guess!
I’ve also made some decisions about the rest of my house….finally!
- Colors for the bedroom have been picked! I won’t paint until the fall when the humidity returns to a some what tolerable level, but the decision has been made!I don’t think I’ll paint the whole wall blackberry, but I will be adding a chair rail and trim/molding to the room eventually to up the fanciness level!
- I’ve decided the time has come to finish my garage. Bestie, the Hubby, and I will fix all the tape and it needs to be painted. I’m just going to use leftover house paint, so whatever my garage is gonna be “townhome beige”. After that I will get all my shelving hung and hopefully get everything up off the floor and organized.
- I’m debating the purchase of a chandelier for my bedroom.